Dolce Far Niente (The Art of Doing Nothing)


Ok, I admit that Elizabeth Gilberth really makes me think about what she wrote in her book. I even have quoted so many sentences in her book at my previous cell phone, but unfortunately, viruses took all the data before I restored it. Oh well, I still remember some in my head.

I waited so long for the movie, and thanks God, today I made it. Like any other movies based on books, I don't expect it to be good though, and some of my friends even slept during the 2,5 hours of this long-life drama. I don't put a high expectation on this movie, so I think it's ok, but not recommended for those who like dramatic or fun movie. It's also something you don't wanna see when you're tired ;)

Enough about the movie. I wanna emphasize the quote I heard again and again: Dolce Far Niente (The Art of Doing Nothing). It stated on the book and the movie that Italian were so proud when they enjoy the art of doing nothing. I did a little research on google about this. And, some sources said so.

The art of doing nothing. It's not like you sit at the couch all day and watch TV like potatoes, or sleeping all day without feeling hungry or anything. I think it has a deeper meaning than that. I think it's about you using your "me time". Do what you wanna do. Just feel comfortable to yourself and enjoy what you're doing without anyone interrupts it.

I can say nowadays I turn to a high achiever and always live in a rush to finish everything at the right time, and do as many thing as I can do because life is short and chance never come twice. But I ended up getting tired and full of regrets when things don't go as I expected, or somehow my plan don't come up as I arranged. Somehow I miss my old me. A little girl who was so naive, so positive thinking, and always believe that there are always be rainbows after the rain. Of course now I'm more mature and more knowledgeable that the world is not always a safe place to live. But I still find a need to do that, to comeback to that little girl who dare to dream about world full of sunshine, flowers, rainbows, and butterflies. I think it's not a shame after all, to have myself just relax in my room, drinking a cup of hot tea, and just remembering happy time, or happy-time-will-be in my life.

I want to learn again about "the art of doing nothing". Because usually, after taking a break from this fast pacing life, I feel a little bit of regret why I spend my time doing nothing when our life is short. I think everyone, including me, should have that "time of doing nothing" regularly, just to keep our mind healthy. Stress-free, and healthy :)

I love to read and write. Who cares I have exam and assignments waiting next week. I don't want my education rule me. I'm the one who took control, and now, I just feel like doing nothing =D

How about you?

Komentar