4th of July - Remembering the Good Old Times in the US




"O say can you see, by the dawn early light,
What so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night, that our flight was still there;
O say does the star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"
(The Star Spangled Banner - US National Anthem)

"For all those American tradition you've experienced here in the US, you shouldn't have the 4th of July as the only tradition you'll missed. Please ask your coordinator to extend your stay. You have to see the 4th of July parade here.", my American Mom said, when I said I have to leave the country in early July. But there's no extended stay, and though I had a chance to visit the US again on 2010, I didn't come there in July.

In front of my desk at the office, I put the picture of me and my American family. This picture consist of me (in graduation robe), My American Mom&Dad Maggie&Mike, My American sister Rachel, My french sister Hafsa, and my American Aunt, Auntie Tat. I put the picture there, to be the reminder that, even in one of my hardest time (living in the US, I mean), and in such a young age, I can manage to finish my study and graduated. It is a motivation to work harder and be a better person, like I used to do it in the US. This is the 1 year of my life that I matured the most, experience the most, and learning the most. And I'm really blessed to be able to do that in the US - Land of the free and the home of the brave.

In front of Kohl Center, in My High School Graduation Day

Yesterday, when I knew that it was the 4th of July. I kept reciting the Star Spangled Banner on my mind. It was a very heroic and spiritful anthem. Even now, when I'm no longer living in the US, hearing this song can lift up my spirit, or touch my heart and make me cry. This national anthem usually played before a sport game, which is maybe why it gives that excessive zeal on my mind when I'm hearing it. It is the same feeling I get when I watch Indonesian football match in the stadium and we sing "Indonesia Raya" together. I still remember every line of this anthem. I hold my breath in the line "and the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there". I imagine being in a war situation and see that scenery, thus I always have to hold my tears when this line is sung.

First thing that I did yesterday when I came to my office was opening my yahoo mail and writing an email to my American mom. It's been a while we're not communicating (well, we still communicate in the early 2012, but how bad is it as a child, for not communicating with your mom more than 5 months?). I suddenly remember about the toddlers whom I used to babysit, they must be tall and pretty by now :) I suddenly remember about my dream to study in The University of Madison, Wisconsin, when I was in high school. Living for a year in the US bring so many memories, and I really hope I can go back there.

Next time, I'll be back to the US, to experience the 4th of July parade with my own eyes.

Happy independence day, the United States of America! :)


*picture taken from: http://bit.ly/NaiW8X

Komentar